I had to put the lower longerons in one at a time, and lost a day in the process, because it required so many clamps to hold the thing in place. I did not nail the longerons in place with pre-drilled holes, as per the plans, as I had a great deal of trouble removing the last set of nails that I put in through flox. Here’s what the right side lower longeron looked like being floxed into place:
Ok, so that’s not really what it looked like, this was my pre-flox test fit. For the real deal, I used twice as many clamps to ensure there were no gaps.
As other people have had happen, in order to make my lower longerons match the dimensions for the fuselage sides from Fig. 5 in the plans, the longerons overhang the lower edge in some places. This is because you cut the masonite to the correct dimensions, and build up the foam on top of that. the common error that people make is lining up the lower edge of the foam as they go. because the jigs are putting a curvature into the sides, the top edge of the foam (where the longerons eventually go) can be as much as a 0.1″ inside the required dimension. It shouldn’t be a problem, it just means I’ll have a little gap to fill when contouring the fuselage exterior in chapter 7.
Here’s where I made a big oops! I came out to the hangar after the lower longeron on the right side had cured overnight, and found that I had left the excess length on the FORWARD end of the side! Doh! The longerons need to overhang the aft end by at least 0.5″ so that they can penetrate the firewall. So, I got to try my first scarf joint! I cut the excess off from the front at about a 45 degree angle, and then cut the aft end back a couple inches at the same angle:
And here you see the repair floxed into place:
The repair came out pretty nice, and I had it curing at the same time as the left lower longeron, so the next day I was free to move on.
I cut the remaining spruce that I had to the required dimensions for LWX, LWY, and the lower longeron doubler. Prior to floxing those in place, I made some molds for the upper part of the electrical conduit, as seen below:
This was my second mistake of the week, because after making the upper half of the conduit out of fiberglass, and installing the remaining wooden pieces, I found that the upper conduit piece needs to extend all the way to LWY, so as to not leave a gap over the conduit cutout. Ah well, should have followed the plans in order a little more carefully. To fix that, I took the upper conduit pieces that I had, and simply extended them by glassing on a bit more BID over the molds. I didn’t get pictures of any of this, but I did get a picture of all of it installed, including the foam cut out and micro’ed in to fill the void around the conduits.
Once the micro cures, I’m going to sand the whole thing level, and fiberglass the whole area with 6 plies of bid. It may be a few days though, as I ran out of micro today. Decent timing, as I’ll be playing Halo Reach for the next few days anyway… that’s right, games are my other weakness.